Buying a dog isn’t easy, and most probable pet owners want to go for exotic breeds. If you check on the web, almost every list would include the Rottweiler, which a fierce and often a soft dog with many sides. In this post, we will talk of some of the facts that you may want to know.
- Don’t go by reputation. Much like Pitbulls, Rottweilers have earned a bad reputation and are banned in many towns of US. However, the key to owning Rottweiler is to focus on training right from the start. These dogs need to be trained for socialization, which is key to their good behavior.
- Look for good breeders. As one of the most expensive dog breeds to buy, Rottweiler must be purchased from the right breeder, who is known for breeding the best animals and can guarantee the health of the puppy. Most breeders do have their websites, so you can find many options online.
- Spend time. Rottweiler have a thing for their families and like to spend time with their human kin. This is precisely the reason why you should leave your dog alone for longer times. This breed also needs a lot of exercise, which is why you need to find ways to spend its energy.
- Smart one. This is one breed that’s on the list of 10 most popular dog breeds in America and they are also counted among smartest breeds in the world. As mention, training is essential from the start, and you should consider a reputed dog trainer if you haven’t handled dogs before.
- Health problems. Due to overbreeding in the last decade, this breed is prone to a number of health issues. Weak bones and hip dysplasia are two very common health issues. Regular checks with the vets are important.
- Before adopting. If you plan to adopt an adult Rottweiler from a shelter, it is a noble idea for sure. However, do ask about its temperament and health issues in advance. Also, since health problems are common, you should consider pet insurance to save the costs of the medical bills.
- Grooming elements. Rottweilers are known for their double coat, which will be all over your house in the shedding season. Frequent brushing is not a choice, given that it will also help in keeping their coat healthy and shiny.
Check online now to find more details about the breed before you make a choice.